The 75th anniversary celebration of Allan P. Kirby’s gift of “The Doctor” by Sir Samuel Luke Fildes held on November 14, included the unveiling of the restored oil study and a presentation by Dr. Stephen Trzeciak, a physician scientist and Professor of Medicine at Cooper Medical School of Rowan University. Trzeciak, an intensivist who treats critically ill patients, and the best-selling author of the book Compassionomics, addressed the power of compassion in improving clinical outcomes.
Trzeciak presented compelling evidence that:
- Compassion has vast benefits for patients across a wide variety of conditions
- Missed opportunities for compassion can have devastating health effects
- Compassion can help reverse the cost crisis in health care
- Compassion can be an antidote for burnout among health care providers
- 40 seconds of compassion can save a life
The event was also the premiere of original videos about compassionate care at Guthrie which are now available to view by clicking here.
Special thanks to the F.M. Kirby Foundation and donors that supported the restoration efforts to preserve this Guthrie treasure.