The Doctor Painting Installation Marks Doctors’ Day

Guthrie observed National Doctors’ Day a few days early, with the unveiling of The Doctor painting by Sir Luke Fields, restored, and in its new permanent location outside Guthrie Clinic Administration in Sayre.

The painting was gifted to Robert Packer Hospital in 1944 by Allan P. Kirby, and gave Fields “practice” before completing the larger piece of artwork that now hangs in the Tate Gallery in London.

A restoration project two years in the making, it was determined that the inspiration provided in the painting that is now on display in the Guthrie Clinic is needed now, more than ever, as we face the challenge of caring for patients during the COVID pandemic. The science of medicine may evolve, but the art of compassion remains the lasting hallmark of medicine.