Cortland Cancer Center
We have all been touched by cancer, if not personally, then through our friends, relatives, and neighbors. Many in our community tell stories of taking friends and loved ones out of the area to receive care because of the limited capacity for treatment in our community. These stories are, unfortunately, all too familiar.
Why the Need?
Cancer is the leading cause of preventable death in this region, with cancer incidence rates increasing:
- 1,300 cancer patients are diagnosed annually who could benefit from these advanced services (approximately 300 in Cortland,1,000 in surrounding counties).
- The need for medical and radiation oncology is predicted to double within five years.
- Guthrie Cortland Medical Center currently operates outpatient medical and radiation oncology practices at separate locations.
- The new center will consolidate all oncology services under one roof with the latest technology, utilizing fully electronic medical records to provide convenient access to patients and their care teams.
Guthrie Cortland’s integrated Cancer Treatment Center will require approximately 10,825 square feet in a newly constructed medical building adjacent to the medical center at West Main and Loope Streets
This $10.6 million facility will bring together radiation and medical oncology in one location with a new state-of-the-art linear accelerator, as well as:
- 10 chemotherapy infusion chairs
- Six exam rooms
- Procedure room
- Patient meeting room
- Two lab phlebotomy stations
- Onsite pharmacy for mixing chemotherapy drugs
- Space for four providers
The new center will be designed with the patient in mind and offer maximum flexibility, encourage teamwork, and optimize efficiency.
Key Benefits of Integrated Cancer Care
The new Cancer Treatment Center will provide a single, convenient point where patients can access multi-disciplinary care in radiation and medical oncology treatments, thus eliminating travel to
other communities for care and reducing travel between treatment facilities locally. Locating the new facility next to the hospital will further enhance patient care. Benefits include access to a full array of surgical and diagnostic services at Guthrie Cortland Medical Center. Acute care and support services, including nutrition counseling, social services, and rehabilitation services, are available in close proximity.
Furthermore, the center is located close to the medical practices in the area, convenient to patients who require coordination of care with multiple physicians.
The center will be home to the latest treatment protocols and provide access to the newest technology, including a TrueBeam™ Linear Accelerator capable of image-guided intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IGRT), a treatment wherein a high dose of radiation is targeted at a tumor while limiting exposure to sensitive surrounding areas.
Benefits of TrueBeam™ Linear Accelerator:
- Helps patients heal in fewer sessions
- More comfortable experience for patients
- Shorter sessions lowering the risks of side effects in patients
- 2D, 3D, and 4D imaging capabilities of the device
- More accurate radiation targeting
- The system can be used to provide various types of radiation treatments
The patient-focused space will foster collaboration among our staff in attractive, comfortable surroundings. The standardized exam rooms will be efficient and minimize patient movement by performing most patient-related activities inside the exam room with collaboration space for staff.
Our comprehensive team of board-certified specialists will work with patients through all aspects of their cancer journey. The new center will enable us to offer supportive care programs in the same location where patients see their physicians.